Friday, December 15, 2017 Edition: U.S. & World | Regional

4 Fun & Free Activities to Enjoy in Mykonos

Greece’s party island, Mykonos is known for its vibrant nightlife, lively beaches, and luxury resorts. With all of its exclusive amenities, it’s no coincidence that Mykonos is also one of the most expensive islands to visit in Greece.

However, despite its hefty price tag, Mykonos offers a considerable number of fun and free activities for tourists to enjoy. Let’s look at how you can still experience what this wonderful island has to offer without spending an arm and a leg once you’re there.

1    Visit the Iconic Windmills

A favorite spot for tourists is the island’s iconic windmills. Although Mykonos technically has sixteen of them in total, the most famous seven are located above the island’s main port and can be seen from nearly every corner of Mykonos Town. Originally constructed to make use of the island’s famous winds for milling wheat, most were built by Venetians in the 16th century. While construction continued into the 20th century, their use declined as construction ceased.

Although the windmills are no longer functional today, they are completely free to admire and still receive plenty of attention from tourists!

Visit The Iconic Windmills
2    Walk Along Little Venice

One of the most charming attractions in Mykonos is Little Venice, located on the western edge of Mykonos Town, across from the famous windmills. Named after the famous Italian “City of Water,” Little Venice dates back to the 16th century, when it was first developed by rich merchants and sea captains. Its picturesque white fishing houses appear to float on the water and feature colorful balconies that overlook the sea. Many tourists frequent this island hotspot to snap a photo, enjoy a drink, and watch the stunning sunset over the water. Even if you’re simply passing through this magical stretch of the island, Little Venice is a must for any Mykonos itinerary.

Walk Along Little Venice
3     Explore the Winding Streets of Mykonos Town

No trip to Mykonos would be complete without exploring stimulating Mykonos Town. Known by the locals as “Chora,” this fairytale village will dazzle and delight your senses. A labyrinth of tightly winding streets is home to hundreds of tiny shops, cafes, and restaurants. Wonderful aromas of food and flowers waft through the air, vying for your attention as you stroll through the beautiful maze. The Cycladic architecture beneath your feet will transport you to another place and time, where nothing feels quite real. Allow yourself to get caught up in the wonder of it all, and possibly even lose your way. Part of the excitement is not knowing exactly what will come next. The one thing you can be sure of is that it will all be worth it, so simply choose a path and let it take you on its wonderful journey.

Explore The Winding Streets Of Mykonos Town
4     Relax on One of the Island’s Famous Beaches

Mykonos is famous for its beautiful beaches, and there is certainly no shortage of them. Ranging from party-centric, to family-friendly, to everything in between, there is something for every beach personality.

Be aware, however, that while visiting the beach is free, you do need to pay to rent an umbrella and sunbeds, if you wish to do so. Pricing will generally include one umbrella and two sunbeds, and will depend on your proximity to the water. The first row(s) tend to cost about 20€ in the high season (June – August), whereas the back rows generally cost closer to 15€. Keep in mind that pricing may vary depending on the season in which you travel and the popularity of the beach.

Relax On One Of The Island’s Famous Beaches
With its stunning white structures, Cycladic architecture, and vibrant blue water, Mykonos is a photographer’s dream. While the cost of visiting is high (particularly in the high season), there are still numerous activities to enjoy without spending a pretty penny. By planning an itinerary of more inexpensive sightseeing, you’ll have a greater ability to explore more of what Greece’s other wonderful islands have to offer.

18 Comments

1. November 21, 2017 - 12:34 pm

Really awesome make me feel like going there rite now.

• November 21, 2017 - 3:14 pm

Hey Ansh! So glad you enjoyed. Book that ticket! I’m always here for advice if you do! 🙂

2. Jack Ashton
    December 1, 2017 - 12:46 pm

Want to visit there one day. So beautiful, I only see this places on films but seeing it in person. Speechless..

• December 1, 2017 - 1:58 pm

Hi Jack! Believe it or not, Mykonos is even more magical in person than it is in the pictures! It’s hard to really get a feel for the windy streets in Mykonos Town until you’re right there walking through the maze! I really hope you make it there someday!

3. Dorothy Kuehl
    December 1, 2017 - 12:58 pm

Hi, I was looking a Mykonos guide and one thing led to another and I got on this page. This is an amazing article. It felt so good that I had to comment here. I’ll visit Greece during Christmas and I’m gonna visit all these places you mentioned. I’ve saved this article and I think this website will be helpful in my future vacations. Keep up the great work!

• December 1, 2017 - 2:02 pm

Hi Dorothy! I’m so glad that your search led you to my article and that you enjoyed it! If you’re interested in reading some of my other pieces on Mykonos, I would definitely encourage you to check out my website (link in my bio). If you do, just head to the “Places” tab and there will be a dropdown for Greece. You can even sign up to receive updates each time I post.

I hope you have a wonderful holiday in Mykonos and thanks so much for your support!

4. Sandra
    December 1, 2017 - 4:03 pm

Mykonos sounds quite unfamiliar, but I can tell I’m getting interested reading this. The winding streets, iconic windmills, and the popular beaches can make anyone crave to be in Mykonos.

• December 4, 2017 - 9:48 am

Hi Sandra, so glad to have captured your interest! Mykonos has actually become quite the tourist hot spot and it’s definitely not hard to see why!

5. Samantha
    December 3, 2017 - 12:03 pm

The last time I went to Mykonos, I was sure to visit their famous beach.y time there was short but really great! I was there when things were quite affordable and I got discounts on some items I got! The weather was good, friendly people and we got a bonfire experience in the evening. I can’t wait to visit again!

• December 4, 2017 - 9:50 am

Hi Samantha, that’s awesome! The bonfire sounds like so much fun! I hope you get back there again soon 🙂

6. Juliet Emmanuel
    December 3, 2017 - 12:05 pm

I never knew Greece had such a great place to visit. I’d love to visit this place and learn new things most especially the iconic windmills. Great pictures of Mykonos is what I see. Thank you for the post though.

• December 4, 2017 - 9:52 am

Hi Juliet, I’m so glad I could open up your eyes to the beautiful country of Greece. Mykonos is incredible, and it’s just one of thousands of other Greek islands!

7. Alexis
    December 4, 2017 - 9:16 pm

I’ve heard a lot of cool things about Mykonos, especially about their epic boat parties. I’ve never been to Europe that much, I just checked off Rome and Paris, but Mykonos is definitely on the list, especially with that view.

• December 5, 2017 - 3:14 pm

Hi Alexis, I haven’t had the boat party experience myself, but I bet that would be amazing! So glad Mykonos is high on your list – it’s definitely one of the most beautiful places I’ve been to!

8. Jesse M.
    December 5, 2017 - 1:23 am

Little Venice looks amazing! The whole area is really. It reminds me of some kind of fictional town in paradise. I love how the buildings are mostly white with pops of color. It really brings you in and makes you feel drawn into them. White happens to be my favorite color when it comes to home decor as well.

9. December 5, 2017 - 3:17 pm

Hi Jesse, yes, Little Venice is so beautiful! It’s funny how you said it reminds you of a fictional town – it definitely has that storybook feel and I had to remind myself at times that I wasn’t dreaming! I absolutely agree on the white decor as well, it provides such a beautiful backdrop for all the vibrant pops of color on the island.

10. ProlificAshley
    December 6, 2017 - 4:28 pm

wow. Really knowing this about Greece, makes me feel like going there this christmas. Fun and interesting.

• December 8, 2017 - 12:46 pm

Hi Ashley, so glad I could open up your eyes to this magical island. I haven’t been around Christmas myself, but I’m sure it would be beautiful!